1. He prefers to cut his own hair
- In a recent interview, his wife revealed that the Senator from Kentucky doesn’t like taking time to go to the barber and prefers to cut his own hair.
2. He really likes mock turtlenecks
- His taste for the black mock turtleneck has garnered interest in political circles, prompting headlines like, “What does Rand Paul’s turtleneck mean for 2016?” Rand’s campaign is giving supporters a chance to embrace his signature style, selling mock turtlenecks emblazoned with Rand’s logo.
3. He was a student athlete in both high school and college
In high school, he was on the swim team and played defensive back on the football team. In college, he continued swimming as part of Baylor’s swim team.
4. "Randal" Paul went by the nickname "Randy" until his wife Kelly came along
- Rand had gone by the more playful moniker “Randy” his whole life. But when he started dating his wife Kelley, she felt the shorter “Rand” suited him better.
5. He is a licensed Ophthalmologist who specializes in cataract and glaucoma surgeries
- Before heading to the Senate, Paul practiced medicine in Kentucky and also set up the Southern Kentucky Lions Eye Clinic to provide free eye care for low-income people. While serving in the Senate, Paul still performs between 10 to 15 eye surgeries a year for free.
2016 HQ Rand Paul