The Presidential inauguration is right around the corner and the country is buzzing in anticipation for one of America’s greatest traditions. The United States has had 57 inaugurations and January 20th will be number 58. Each one has been unique.
What you need to know about the 58th Presidential inauguration:
- The inauguration will take place at 12PM on Friday, January 20th, 2017
- The location of the inauguration will be on the West Lawn of the U.S. Capitol in Washington, D.C.
- Tickets to the inauguration are free and may be acquired by contacting your Representative or Senator
Here are a few fun facts regarding some of the presidential inaugurations throughout America’s history:
- The first presidential inauguration of George Washington took place in New York City, as the city was the U.S. capital at the time.
- Thomas Jefferson was the first president to be inaugurated in
- James Monroe was the first to deliver his inaugural address outdoors in
- Martin Van Buren was the first president not born a British subject
- Franklin Pierce was the first president to recite his inaugural speech
entirely from memory
- Franklin D. Roosevelt was the first president to take the oath of office
on January 20th
- Theodore Roosevelt was the youngest man inaugurated at the age of
- Ronald Reagan had the warmest and coldest inaugurations in
history. In 1981 the temperature was 55, however during his second
inauguration in 1985 it was 7 degrees
- George Washington gave the shortest inaugural addresses in history,
stating a mere 135 words
- William Taft was sworn into office inside during a blizzard as 10 inches
of snow fell in Washington, D.C.
- William Taft was also the only person to both administer and take the oath of office
- James Buchanan’s inauguration was the first to be photographed
- Harry Truman’s inauguration was the first to be broadcast on television
Donald J. Trump will be inaugurated as our 45th President of the United States on January 20th, 2017. Find out more details and information on specific events at 58pic2017.org.